discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] New Tier 2 Servers

Re: [opennic-discuss] New Tier 2 Servers

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] New Tier 2 Servers
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 13:45:30 -0600

The digs are performed from NS0, however until yesterday I was also running the same reports from my own server and comparing results...

Generally speaking, the results from both hosts matched up. Queries to the T2 servers either went smoothly, or there were obvious problems getting reliable answers. During periods when there was a problem with the host servers (NS0 or my server), the problems were consistent across ALL T2 server results, usually showing as either all yellow or all red. If the host testing is running smoothly, then you will see the type of scattered results that are showing up now. Note that most of the T2 servers respond consistently and are green all the way across. Some servers might have one or two yellow dots which may indicate they were receiving high traffic loads at the time. If you take a look at ns4.de and ns5.de, these are ipv4 and ipv6 ports to the same server, and the periods of yellow warnings match up almost identically, showing that the problem is with the server or its local network. However in the case of ns6.fr and ns7.fr, all of the failures are showing on the ipv6 port. To me this would indicate a problem with the IPv6 gateway, and not a problem with the server or its network connection.

If you want to see an example of host-side problems, take a look at my results for today between 0100 and 0830. You will note empty bands where results could not be collected, and areas of yellow or red. These stripes across multiple servers at one time indicate networking problems on the host... in this case my server was performing some intensive maintenance that hogs all CPU cycles. (As a side note, my server is showing little or no yellow areas because I am now only performing minimal testing... does the T2 respond with a root zone or not... and so the results no longer match the full testing being performed from NS0.)

I have considered running status testing from multiple servers, however over the past few months that I have been setting up this code I have noticed that it is easy to tell when there is a problem with the host, and if you ignore results within those periods, the rest of the chart gives a good indication of how reliable query results are for each T2. More importantly, having the chart with viewable history allows each T2 operator to see if there are patterns to any problems - such as bad response time from their machine every night during a maintenance cycle - and they can make adjustments based on that information.