discuss - [opennic-discuss] Bind config explanation...

[opennic-discuss] Bind config explanation...

  • From: Peter Green <peter AT greenpete.co.uk>
  • To: OpenNIC Discuss <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Bind config explanation...
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 01:01:22 +0000

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can explain a few things about the code you add to
named.conf in order to enable your server to resolve as a T2?

Just so you know, I'm running Ubuntu Server.

To start with, my named.conf doesn't contain anything like this, my
named.local.conf does though, that's where all the zones are that relate to
the sites I have running on the server. So which file do I enter the code
shown below in?

Then, the first zone appears to be "." What does that mean?

zone "." { type slave; file "/etc/bind/zones/db.root"; masters { ; };
allow-transfer { any; }; notify no; };

Then the next zone, this one seems to make sense, I guess it slaves OpenNIC's
T1 servers?

What about the file these two zones point to, like this one;
("/etc/bind/zones/slaves/db.dns.opennic") Does that get created
automatically, or do we have to do that our selves, if so, what permissions
and ownership do we give it?

zone "dns.opennic.glue" { type slave; file
"/etc/bind/zones/slaves/db.dns.opennic"; masters { 75.127.96.89; }; notify
no; allow-transfer { any; }; };

Next, what does "allow-recursion { any; }; " mean in this case?

Thanks, Peter

Wanged from my Kaiser by a mischievous pixie!