discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Bind config explanation...

Re: [opennic-discuss] Bind config explanation...

  • From: Niels Dettenbach <nd AT syndicat.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Bind config explanation...
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:26:59 +0100

Am Samstag, 25. Februar 2012, 01:01:22 schrieb Peter Green:
> To start with, my named.conf doesn't contain anything like this, my
> named.local.conf does though, that's where all the zones are that relate to
> the sites I have running on the server. So which file do I enter the code
> shown below in?

I don't know anything about how Ubuntus maintainers did created their
named.conf layout in detail.

The "only" configuration file each bind has / must have at least is
named.conf
which could be reside somewhere under /etc/ or even everywhere accessible
from
binds user.

All other stuff depends from how things are configured within named conf. By
theory you could have all the config within only this single file - but this
would be a mess in most cases.

Many bind operators are building / using their own named.conf layout on
different OSs / distributions to make things much more flexible (i.e. i run
DNS for different roots and different applications on different IPs for
different IP segments from a single named and named conf by very helpful
bind9s "views").

This is why there is no completely general config just could copied and paste
somewhere into a named config.

> Then, the first zone appears to be "." What does that mean?

This is "the Internet" or the "top zone" - each internet hostname is written
as i.e.
subdomain.secondleveldomain.tld.

i.e.
host1.opennicproject.org. (see dot at the end)

i.e. try to call www.syndicat.com. or other hosts with a "."...

because every internet hostname begins from that dot regarding some rfcs no
one has to write it today any longer to save keyclicks...

From the dot everything in the DNS hierarchy "goes down":

. (top)
glue. (2nd)
opennic.glue. (3rd)

aso.

> zone "." { type slave; file "/etc/bind/zones/db.root"; masters { ; };
> allow-transfer { any; }; notify no; };
>
> Then the next zone, this one seems to make sense, I guess it slaves
> OpenNIC's T1 servers?
no.

> What about the file these two zones point to, like this one;
> ("/etc/bind/zones/slaves/db.dns.opennic") Does that get created
> automatically, or do we have to do that our selves, if so, what permissions
> and ownership do we give it?
it tells your bind where it has to recursively resolve against the root zone
if it did not have/know the requested zone info by himself.

hth
best regards,

Niels.

--