discuss - [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Infrastructure Monitoring

[opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Infrastructure Monitoring

  • From: Falk Husemann <josen AT paketsequenz.de>
  • To: <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Infrastructure Monitoring
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 19:17:42 +0200

Hi guys,

there has been alot of talk concerning security, availability and what to do in case of X. I thought it could be useful to get Availability Monitoring going for a better insight into OpenNIC (I'm just a newbie too), before proposing anything.

To get a basic insight I configured a Smokeping for us, have a look and provide feedback if you like:

http://frontline.paketsequenz.de/smokeping/smokeping.cgi

This is just a rough sketch of what we could do. It could be extended to generate daily,weekly, monthly and yearly availability charts on a nice frontend site. Also it needs some scalability tweaking. Good for us, that all has already been done. Its possible to extend with slave monitoring servers for more accurate average lantencies too.

The Targets are regenerated based on a script, you can get here:
http://wiki.opennic.glue/Falks

Keep in mind, it's all development quality, so feedback is needed.

From my point of view, we could extend this with a weathermap showing the topology thats generated from here (http://wiki.opennic.glue/OpenNIC_Topology_Graphics), but with fancier icons and the correct edge direction.

Greets,
Falk