discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Infrastructure Monitoring

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Infrastructure Monitoring

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT opennicproject.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Infrastructure Monitoring
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 20:01:10 -0500

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 07:17:42PM +0200, Falk Husemann wrote:
> there has been alot of talk concerning security, availability and
> what to do in case of X. I thought it could be useful to get
> Availability Monitoring going for a better insight into OpenNIC (I'm
> just a newbie too), before proposing anything.

You are aware that we have in place a rather extensive and
comprehensive Tier2 monitoring system, right? If not, you can find it
here:

http://www.opennicproject.org/en/tier2statusmonitor

I mean, if you want to start your own monitoring setup, feel free.
But I don't see the sense in duplicating effort that has already been
put into the current monitoring system.

Re Nagios from a related post: Everyone always comes on board with a
better mousetrap. On the other hand, we (Jeff, Julian, Alex H. and
myself) have seen many people come and go from OpenNIC. We've sort of
grown weary of people promising X, only to leave because they don't
really have a vested interest in the project. So please don't take it
personally if there isn't an outpouring of encouragement from us to
implement better mousetraps.

--Brian

--
OpenNIC (the sequel) co-founder and wikimaster
IRC: Freenode.net channel #opennic