discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Infrastructure Monitoring

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Infrastructure Monitoring

  • From: "Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT&Internet)" <nd AT syndicat.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Infrastructure Monitoring
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 20:08:28 +0200

Falk Husemann <josen AT paketsequenz.de> schrieb:

>nice frontend site. Also it needs some scalability tweaking.
This and some other (from my vieww significant) points are the reason why i
would recomend nagios as a availability monitor and management system.

Beside it allows proven high scalability by technology it offers availability
managent beside monitoring, i.e. escalation plans, contacting regarding
admins / techs and a real service or product based availability monitoring,
offers a information base for users on different levels about what is (not)
going when and why, planned downs, repairs etc..

Especially for admins who are usually very busy it is important that a
monitoring solution does only contact them if there is a really urgent
situation - nagios can intelligently "filter" network based short outs or
network based failures not important to alarm anyone.

The nagios admin can i.e. give each T1 (and possibly T2 admin) his own
account non nagios just showing him that ressources regarding him.

Not at least - there are nice android and other clients out to stay informed
mobile.

Nagios is very professional software, but even small and fast enough to
monitor the whole OpenNIC down to the T2s att on a small virtual machine or
on a multiusage server beside other stuff - or even beside other networks to
monitor. Users can see if someone got informed, has acked or is still working
on a machine / service and/or if it is a planned down etc.. It may useful to
integrate important single point of failures in the network like routers into
the topology too.

May be it is wort to take a look at nagios for you / OpenNIC.

> From my point of view, we could extend this with a weathermap showing
>the topology thats generated from here
>(http://wiki.opennic.glue/OpenNIC_Topology_Graphics), but with fancier
>icons and the correct edge direction.

There are several nice interfaces available to play with monitoring data from
nagios into maps, graphics etc.

There are even modules / extensions to get some nice performance charts out
(what is usually secondary in availability monitoring).

With the right config it is typically easy to wrote some automization scripts
i.e. to manage the nagios configuration for special OpenNIC purposes (i.e.
self registration or importing the T1 / T2 lists).

If someone needs some help setting up nagios i'm open to bring me in and help
here too.

just my two cents here...

best regards,

Niels.