discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Whois server progress

Re: [opennic-discuss] Whois server progress

  • From: Martin C <martin AT mchomenet.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Whois server progress
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 11:37:19 +1000

Do you plan on implementing remote registration?
Yes. In fact, in my Drafts folder, I have had an email sitting for 2-3 days detailing how I plan to allow remote domain registrations via my system, ala Verisign and "accredited registrars". Is that what you meant?

With a good 'ol rWHOIS server, you can allow remote machines (or
localhost) to perform whois registration/editing/deletion.
Oh I see, registration of _details_. Oh well, the above information was not going to be a secret anyhow.

Hmm, like I said, I am still trying to figure out what is necessary for a basic WHOIS server, as well as what is expected. But the details are retrieved from the system, so when the user changes them, they are updated and the information found through WHOIS would be coming from the same data source. So registration and editing is basically already there and changes are instant.

How does your current implementation work? Does it retrieve the query
from SQL?
Yes, it feeds from the central data source that powers my software, codenamed "MUD4TLD". All SQL.

However, at some point I was planning on tweaking the WHOIS server to read all records into memory and then delivering those when needed. This saves having disk reads for every query. This was just an idea, but I have yet to determine if there is a need for this level of optimisation yet.

Martin.