discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] ICANN TLDs Announced

Re: [opennic-discuss] ICANN TLDs Announced

  • From: Alex Hanselka <alex AT opennicproject.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] ICANN TLDs Announced
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 19:02:26 -0500

On Jun 13, 2012, at 6:49 PM, Julian DeMarchi wrote:
I'd also like to get the PR team within OpenNIC to write me a press
release for our website publicly critising ICANNs gTLD practice. Alex,
can you please gather your team and write me something? :)

I'd like to also take this oppurtunity to say I am very disappointed
in ICANNs action in regards to thier approach for new gTLDs. Once they
are active, the internet is not going to be the same as before. It's a
sad day for all. ICANN should be ashamed for turning DNS into a money
making machine. The application process alone have netted ICANN 348
million USD, thats alot! SHAME ICANN

- --julian

It shall be done.

I too am disappointed about the ICANN nonsense. To be honest, I am fairly surprised that over 1900 TLDs are on that list! There are a few dupes of course... but REALLY?! 1900?!  A few of them I can understand but some are ridiculous.  For instance "AFAMILYCOMPANY" (S. C. Johnson for the record) or "TRAVELERSINSURANCE"... It is just a disgrace :(

---
Alex Hanselka
alex AT opennicproject.org