discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] using OpenNIC behind a firewall

Re: [opennic-discuss] using OpenNIC behind a firewall

  • From: Markus Glugla <opennic AT xgelb.de>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] using OpenNIC behind a firewall
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 20:08:48 +0200

Hi Jeff,

thanks for the help.

> If you run your own nameserver, you have the advantage of being able to
> specify a connection on an alternate port. There are a few OpenNic
> server accepting connections on port 5353, however I seem to be the only
> one so far who has actually posted on the wiki page.

> You can reach my server at 216.87.84.211 or 2001:470:8388:10:0:100:53:20
> on port 5353.
This is a nice idea. I had not seen your alternate ports. These days
I've tested your nameserver.

> This has worked for others in bypassing their ISP,
> hopefully it will work for you as well?
Yes, it worked on various networks but my ISP blocked all connection. I
ask my ISP about his firewall accesslist. I realized that all UDP
packages will blocked.

> Let us know how it goes, and if
> needed, perhaps we can help find other suggestions.
In the last days I read many ideas. I think it's a tough one. My
solution will be using udptunnel to bypass the firewall. The tool
udptunnel tunnels UDP packages via TCP connection. The end of the tunnel
will be on a free side of the web. For this purpose i wrote some mails
to an OpenNIC member ;-) which offers vserver. The UDP blockade also
affects other tools, which we want to use. So I think the tunnel is the
best solution.

Finally, once again, thank you Jeff. Your note and your alternate port
helped me to understand the problem.

Best Regards,
Markus