discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [MOTION] Pause on all new TLDs

Re: [opennic-discuss] [MOTION] Pause on all new TLDs

  • From: Jamyn Shanley <jshanley AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [MOTION] Pause on all new TLDs
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 18:43:28 -0600

Given the vast majority of the data would be text (sql databases, flat files, whatever) which generally compresses very well in transit, I think it would be pretty low overhead. I doubt there is more than 10g of userdata total. Duplicate data would not need to be re-transmitted, as rsync only sends the changes since the last update. So if a server backed up yesterday and then 200 accounts were added today, rsync would only send the data for those 200 accounts.

Who would pay for the backup server? Well, I could provide one for free.
Or, we could go a different route and encrypt the backups on the server side before transit, and then store the backup on a free or almost free solution (SpiderOak, DropBox, whatever).