discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] DoS amp attack today

Re: [opennic-discuss] DoS amp attack today

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] DoS amp attack today
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 22:31:03 -0600

Rate-limiting is the best first-step in this game.  Even if you can't prevent your server from being used in an attack, you can at least greatly limit the actual damage being done to yourself and the intended target.  I would highly recommend that ALL public DNS servers implement some manner of rate limiting.

I haven't really found anything else that would help us, but that doesn't mean I didn't miss it.  Is anyone familiar with a tool like fail2ban that we could use?  Ideally I'd like to see a short-term ban on any IP's making excessive queries for a single domain.  Most IP's are spoofed anyway, so there's no reason to hold them for more than a few minutes after they stop flooding.  I think anything past about 50 queries (and probably less) in 1 minute should be dropped completely, not even sending a reply or reject after that point.  If we can at least prevent all of the OpenNic servers from being listed as useful attack points, it could help reduce the overall number of attacks, and would definitely improve our image in network security.