discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OSS and Parody maintenance disabled

Re: [opennic-discuss] OSS and Parody maintenance disabled

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OSS and Parody maintenance disabled
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 11:16:52 -0600

Just an FYI for those following along with the progress of the new software...

I've been debating various methods of storing zone serials. Since we're limited to a 32-bit number, I wanted to avoid unix timestamps (which run out in 2038). I am making an assumption that TLD zone updates will not be generated more than once per minute, so another option is to divide the unix timestamp by 60, which would give us a much larger range and likely never run out within opennic's lifetime.

The issue here is that I, like many others, prefer the timestamp to be in a format that is easily readable and relateable to a date. If I chop off the century and seconds from an LDAP-style timestamp, I get a format that is quickly read: 1403231633 (2014 03 23, 16:33). We still run into another Y2K problem of running out of digits in the year 2100, but that gives us 85 years to start using a 64-bit serial in the DNS zones.

The other issue I've been working on is the script which generates the zone files from the data stored in LDAP. The original script was mostly functional, but did not always regenerate in the case of certain updates. This weekend I completely rewrote the script and I believe I now have a working solution that minimizes the amount of queries sent to the LDAP servers, but still ensures that when a user makes changes to their domain, the proper files and serials will be updated. I am also trying to make sure that multiple servers are able to request zone updates without each of them generating a whole new set of zone files each time, allowing for backup servers to keep a TLD active.

That's about all for now. I'll be testing the changes later today, then I just have one more function to write before opening up the TLDs for user access again...