discuss - [opennic-discuss] Update to root-zone generation

[opennic-discuss] Update to root-zone generation

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Update to root-zone generation
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 10:03:39 -0600

I made an adjustment to the script that generates our root zone. Now instead of simply listing all available Tier-1 servers as valid NS targets for each TLD, the script (correctly) checks the zone record and only lists available servers from the list specified by the zone.

This means that the root zone will list all of the records for the FUR zone as specified by its operator. It also means that all the zones which have not been updated in the past several months are going to be missing some of the T1 servers, or trying to list others which no longer exist (I saw some that still have NS21 in their config).

Originally this is the way the root zone was generated, however I changed it *because* of the fact that several TLDs were not keeping up with changes but we wanted to ensure our root zone pointed users at the full list of available tier-1 servers. Unfortunately what this meant is that zones like .fur were not listed with their chosen nameservers, and if an operator specifically removed certain servers from their list (as in the current case of unresponsive operators who are still listing bad zones for several TLDs) those changes were again lost in the root.

Overall these changes should make access to the various TLDs more accurate, but it also means that the administrators of each TLD are once again directly responsible for keeping their information up to date.

  • [opennic-discuss] Update to root-zone generation, Jeff Taylor, 05/11/2014