discuss - [opennic-discuss] Galium - Updated domain registration software

[opennic-discuss] Galium - Updated domain registration software

  • From: Tim Groeneveld <tim AT timg.ws>
  • To: <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Galium - Updated domain registration software
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 14:38:29 +1000

Hi Guys,

After banging away at my keyboard for the past couple of days, I have finally
got around to almost having the new version of Galium completed.

Instead of using old-school PHP, the new registration software uses Laravel
(laravel.com) for the framework.

Using Laravel, the code is well sorted and literally thousands of times more
secure then the previous release of Galium.

There are a number of really cool changes, mainly:

- Complete replacement of the old theming platform, now using
Laravel/Bootstrap View::make
- New, simple theme based built with Bootstrap, enabling integration with
hundreds of themes
- Replacement of old user login hashes after first login. New hashes
automatically get rehashed with configuration changes.
- nodejs whois server built in.
- *A REAL API*. With a REST/JSON interface. (whois is the first client to
use this API, still need to integrate registration/login functions)
- Support for master/master zone generation with MySQL replication.

With regards to the MySQL replication, I will go more in-depth about this
later, but this will help us replicate zone databases across different
servers, and might provide a viable solution to the issues that we have had
with servers going offline & us loosing data, as we (zone operators) could
replicate our data to one or more MySQL master servers controlled by OpenNIC,
and these servers could do point in time snapshots of the database.

Anyways, I have control of the OpenNIC organisation inside GitHub, so I will
post it up there soon.

(If anyone else has any OpenNIC-specific code they would like to throw up
onto the http://github.com/opennic account, please let me know).

Cheers,
Tim