discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Root zone testing

Re: [opennic-discuss] Root zone testing

  • From: David <davidvargas1 AT mac.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org, shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Root zone testing
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 08:19:37 +0800

Jeff
In my opinion, feel free to correct ME.

what exactly is define as "root Zone and dnssec entries in opennic
servers.?

This what I understand of DNSSEC
I read LOTS of article about it and honestly, it could be counter
productive and use as a tool of censorship or too much power to the Isp/
hostile governments. It does not help De-centralizing the internet.

Others:

What operational statistics have we gathered about DNSSEC?
Is it changing DNS patterns?

How are our name servers handling DNSSEC traffic? Is the volume as
expected?

Have we seen anything other unusual incidents?

Are there experiences being documented in the form of best practices,
or something similar, for transfer of signed zones?

I was wondering, How that will affect "tor users"
"
I'm not in favor of root zone, but favor openness, that will give too
much "power" to the regimental ISP, meaning they could force you to use
their default DNS tier2 ican settings in their local web servers.

For example: I discover that my local ISP is making extra money on the
consumers by re-routing their base-band to 8.8.8.8.

Due to my bandwidth limitations, I noticed that was a main factor for
lagging at certain hours during the day.

When I discover through my perseverance and research that opennic
offered a few DNS servers free from finger printing, and with faster
pings/tlc to my region, which is Singapore and Japan.

Knowing this I had no issues and I'm able to cap my maximum base-band
of my pc by redirecting my DNS to Japan or Singapore.

Let us be clearly understood that the Philippines IS MONOPOLIZED by 2
major telecom, Smart and Globe.

Globe owns or has bought rights to 3 major fiber optical transoceanic
under water cables. Including one of them from the Philippines to Japan.
This oceanic cables does not traverse across the Planet like the other
ones. Yet it is beneficial for opennic users like me.
because Japan opennic dns Is free and very stable.

Singapore opennic has its moments of glory and a lot of lag, too much
of it. So they sit on second place.

Even 8.8.8.8 is super fast, but they "DON'T RESPECT PRIVACY", they
finger print your browsing habits. I only use 8.8.8.8 when the other
opennic DNS are having "DIGITAL HICCUPS OR ASTHMA".

Respectfully
David