discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC SMTP Relay

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC SMTP Relay

  • From: Riley Baird <riley AT openmailbox.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC SMTP Relay
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 07:48:55 +1100

On 23/12/14 23:26, Philipp Resch wrote:
> Am 23.12.2014 00:54, schrieb Riley Baird:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are any publicly available SMTP relays that allow mail to be sent to
>> email addresses with OpenNIC TLDs?
>>

> I don't think you will find any publicly available SMTP relays, as those
> are bound to be misused for spam relaying...

Would it be possible to reduce the spam problem by only accepting mail
for the OpenNIC TLDs and rejecting mail for the ICANN TLDs? Given that
OpenNIC TLDs are not yet as popular as the ICANN TLDs, it would seem
that they would be less likely to get spam.

Also, requiring authentication and limiting the amount of mail per
person that can be sent in one day would reduce the amount of spam sent
further.

> Nevertheless, depending on what you are planning to do it should be easy
> to set up a simple Postix with authentication using the OpenNIC DNS servers.

I have to use my ISP's smarthost to send mail through port 25. Is DNS
resolution done on my end, or the ISP's?