discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC SMTP Relay

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC SMTP Relay

  • From: "Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT & Internet)" <nd AT syndicat.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org,Riley Baird <riley AT openmailbox.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC SMTP Relay
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 11:17:38 +0100

Am 23. Dezember 2014 21:48:55 MEZ, schrieb Riley Baird
<riley AT openmailbox.org>:

>Would it be possible to reduce the spam problem by only accepting mail
>for the OpenNIC TLDs and rejecting mail for the ICANN TLDs? Given that
>OpenNIC TLDs are not yet as popular as the ICANN TLDs, it would seem
>that they would be less likely to get spam.
Hmm,
these are susually bad ideas, except requiring smtp auth or similiar for
outbound relay users which should be "standard" in most setups. Because many
of our customers are using mailing list software with hundredthousands of
recipients limiting the amount of email per day by user is not a solution
and limiting mails by ip or sender (domain/address) on incoming mail makes
no sense as this will block reuired mail traffic in many legal / non abusive
scenarios.

Email by rfc only makes sense if it reaches the "full internet" net neutral
(shure, OpenNIC is'nt routed from most mailers yet...).

There are many other things a professional mail service provider can do to
minimize spam from and to his users, without restricting them, but many of
them makes only sense on a pprofessional level which means that it is "easy"
to get some kind of email service running, but doing that on a professional
level requires competence and manpower which most individuals or smaller
companies did not have or can afford on their own, which makes hardly sense
to use a professional "mail gateway" provider for MTA, MX and similiar
internet email relaying.

f.i. we are able to block / filter more then 98% of any spam (most of time
even much more) without false positives (! means: no "spam" folder to check
for users which doesn't save time at the end...) to any of our
users/customers and provide such email gateways (like others), devloping and
maintaining complex levels of anti abuse and anti spam stages in our systems.
So i think i know about what i'm talking herein.

>I have to use my ISP's smarthost to send mail through port 25. Is DNS
>resolution done on my end, or the ISP's?
In a full ("typical") smarthost client setup your client does only DNS to
resolve your smarthosts IP (except you use a IP address to connect to it,
but this may reduce SSL/TLS functionality).

cheerioh,

Niels.
--
Niels Dettenbach