discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Please submit proposals here for a TLD to replace .free

Re: [opennic-discuss] Please submit proposals here for a TLD to replace .free

  • From: Jonah Aragon <jonaharagon AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Please submit proposals here for a TLD to replace .free
  • Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 03:14:55 +0000

I'm strongly in favor of .libre, and I don't see a reason it would be used by ICANN really (and that hasn't stopped us before, I can see a good use case with a lot of our TLDs that haven't been used). .liber is also good but I feel like some people may not have heard of liber as opposed to libre which is in more popular use, and think it's a misspelling.

I guess I don't really have an alternate proposal, just wanted to show support for .libre, it seems the best alternative that would be aligned with .free's policies based on name alone.

I'd like to add I don't support numbers in TLDs for usability reasons. I don't think they would fall in popular use, especially when similar letter-only domains exist as an alternative (.free vs .fr33). That's just my opinion though, I wouldn't use it but perhaps others don't think the same.

Jonah