discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Please submit proposals here for a TLD to replace .free

Re: [opennic-discuss] Please submit proposals here for a TLD to replace .free

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Please submit proposals here for a TLD to replace .free
  • Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 21:36:38 -0700
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx5.sourpuss.net 744922D7B5

On 12/03/2016 08:14 PM, Jonah Aragon wrote:
I'd like to add I don't support numbers in TLDs for usability reasons. I don't think they would fall in popular use, especially when similar letter-only domains exist as an alternative (.free vs .fr33). That's just my opinion though, I wouldn't use it but perhaps others don't think the same.
Lack of popular use is exactly the reason why I mentioned fr33 as an alternative. It's still easy to remember, but almost certainly would NOT be picked up by ICANN for general use, so there is little chance we will be having this same conversation about the same TLD again in a few years.

At one point I thought it would be nice if we prefixed all of our TLDs some way to show they were from an alternate root, and greatly minimize the chance of future conflicts. I had wanted to use a hyphen (for example, .-free), but since the RFC specifically prohibits this, there's too much chance of it breaking something. We could still consider a numeric prefix such as .0free. The idea is to try an *prevent* future conflicts, using something that is distinctive but easy to remember, because as much as we love our project, most of the world will never hear of us and conflicts will most certainly always resolve against us.