discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Please submit proposals here for a TLD to replace .free

Re: [opennic-discuss] Please submit proposals here for a TLD to replace .free

  • From: Theo B <me AT theos.space>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Please submit proposals here for a TLD to replace .free
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 16:14:51 -0500

Are we going to say/ask anything to Amazon? Maybe they'd be willing to help us out in some way.

-Theo

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net> wrote:
On 12/04/2016 01:23 AM, Maiyannah Bishop wrote:
Personally, I'm in favour of keeping .free and letting ICANN explain to people why there's collisions.
Are we going to just roll over the moment ICANN takes up a TLD that conflicts?  Because if so, then we may as well not even bother with operating, because we'll be dead the moment they reopen gTLD applications next year.
-mb

I believe we had that exact same discussion the last time they opened up gTLD applications, and a few people bemoaned the end of opennic... yet here we still are.  There was one other zone that collided -- .ing -- which was added to the root zone in January 2014 but still doesn't appear to be open for domain registration.  It may be that .free follows the same path and doesn't see any actual use for some time.

As for ICANN explaining why they have TLD collisions... who do you think they're going to explain it to?  It's not like anything in the opennic root zone has any affect on ICANN's root, nor on the people who still using the ICANN root.  Nobody is going to complain because nobody except opennic users are even aware of the collision.