discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] .o peering structure

Re: [opennic-discuss] .o peering structure

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] .o peering structure
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 02:19:02 -0700
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx3.sourpuss.net 39CBB2D745

The only issue I see in this would be trying to overlap the usage of the .glue zone.  If you want to be a peer rather than part of the opennic structure then you must separate your connection entirely.  The easiest way to do this would be to either keep your records under .o (for example, *.glue.o), or create a new TLD for that purpose (for example, .modern).  The first example is the best, however, because it only requires you and your users to worry about a single zone and simplifies setup for anyone running their own DNS.

I would suggest that you also add at least one other authoritative DNS server.  Under a peering arrangement, opennic adds pointers for your zone(s) to our root, but opennic servers no longer directly resolve your zone.  There are different options available here, such as adding multiple IP addresses under NS11 to point to multiple machine -- but we can talk about that later if you decide to proceed.

And finally, there needs to be some way that a script can track any service changes you make.  Let's say you decide to add the .modern TLD to contain your infrastructure.  Now you've set an initial expectation that you are running multiple TLDs.  If in the future your group adds another TLD, you don't want to wait around for someone from opennic to see the changes and add your new TLD to our root, instead you want updates to automatically happen.  If you query tlds.opennic.glue you will receive a list of all the TLDs that we currently operate.  Adding a similar TXT record in a known place to your TLD would allow our root zone scripts to see changes and add the appropriate records to the next root zone.  Additionally we would need to be able to query a list of your authoritative servers, but if you managed that information under NS11 then I could work with that.  The point is to have a known place to collect this information, and always use that same source to signal your updates.  Again, this is all information that we can work if you decide to switch to a peering arrangement.