discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] New Homepage - Gathering Opinions

Re: [opennic-discuss] New Homepage - Gathering Opinions

  • From: Jonah Aragon <jonaharagon AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] New Homepage - Gathering Opinions
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 04:13:34 +0000

The main reasons I was using Jekyll were:

 1. because it makes it easier to add new pages if necessary, completely written in Markdown
 2. we could keep a blogging system of some sort for press releases and important updates (as illustrated at https://jonaharagon.github.io/opennic.org/press/) which wouldn't have to be written in HTML. I'm fully aware we underutilize our current blogging system but I think it should be used more and plays a fairly important role in PR (which I'm attempting to start/lead again, so I'd like somewhere to write press releases).
 and 3. it's natively supported by GitHub Pages, which I figured we could use as a hosting solution either by itself or behind a reverse proxy on our webservers (Varnish, Nginx, or otherwise).

Jekyll also builds the static site into the _site directory if you build it on your computer or servers anyways, so the end result is the exact same. Think of using Jekyll as something similar to coding any project, you have the source code but it gets built/compiled into the final product. Jekyll just provides a way to edit the source in a way that might be easier for more users to handle.

We certainly don't HAVE to use Jekyll, I can rework the site as just static HTML pages relatively easily. But the end result is the exact same, you'd still be serving static pages as opposed to dynamically created sites like WordPress either way, so it seemed like a win-win, if it also made maintenance even a tiny bit easier :)

On your other points I agree, I like the idea of a static homepage for the project that gives an overview of OpenNIC while linking to relevant wiki articles for further details more than using the Wiki entirely, and I tried to keep that in mind when building the site. I think it not only makes things more reliable (no need to rely on content generators or databases), and also might make things clearer for new users (I just think some people might find the wiki somewhat intimidating, but I dunno, I also tend to underestimate people), especially as some, if not most of the wiki is fairly out of date.

Jonah