discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Our new site hosting

Re: [opennic-discuss] Our new site hosting

  • From: Jonah Aragon <jonaharagon AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Our new site hosting
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 22:55:20 -0500

I'm currently operating the homepage which is being hosted on Netlify. Netlify exactly mirrors from the GitHub repo, where we can fallback to GitHub Pages if Netlify doesn't work out or mirror it on our own servers with little hassle, there's many fallback options there.

The Wiki is currently on Amazon which Holly (fusl) is operating. That could theoretically cease to exist if she stops paying but I highly doubt that would ever happen, especially without warning, and the pages there are mirrored to GitHub as well, so if that goes down all we need to do is host DokuWiki somewhere else and import those pages.

The servers, API, and reports sites are hosted from Jeff's (Shdwdrgn) personal home connection on a business line if I remember correctly. This is the one I'm the most concerned about, because it doesn't seem super redundant, but it's also been operating for a good while with no huge, major issues. It seems pretty stable.

Everyone hosting the sites knows what they're doing. And most of us have assumed financial obligations a long time ago I'd think, the Tier 1/Tier 2 servers can't be cheap in the long run. OpenNIC will be fine.

Jonah