discuss - re: [opennic-discuss] DGS-1210-20 - was Re: Our new site hosting

re: [opennic-discuss] DGS-1210-20 - was Re: Our new site hosting

  • From: Jonah Aragon <jonaharagon AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: re: [opennic-discuss] DGS-1210-20 - was Re: Our new site hosting
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 22:18:09 -0500

Yeah, I'm both confused as to why he replied to the other thread and what he actually wants accomplished.

I may be wrong but it sounds like you want DHCP (I don't think DHSP is a thing) managed by the switch? That isn't generally how network switches work, a switch is not a router.

You need to keep your ISP provided router in charge of everything, a switch doesn't really do anything like that.

If you're asking about a new router, check out the ASUS DSL-AC68. I don't have DSL of course, but I have the ASUS RT-AC68U and I assume they're similar, just the first one supports ADSL. It's a good router, the firmware is based on OpenWRT or DD-WRT I believe so it'll have a lot of functionality for you. I've since replaced it with pfSense (another option if you want to do more DIY networking or have more money for a business class firewall) but it works well.

OpenNIC isn't really networking support, we're a DNS organization. There's better places to find help.

Jonah