discuss - [opennic-discuss] Email addresses and the Members page

[opennic-discuss] Email addresses and the Members page

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Email addresses and the Members page
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 13:47:11 -0600
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx5.sourpuss.net F19BF2D7E8

There has been some debate about whether people's email addresses should be publicly posted in services like a whois listing, but the administrators of opennic DO need a valid email address to reach people by. I believe the easiest way to solve all of the suggestions is to simply maintain two separate email fields. If you log in to the members page (https://opennicproject.org/members/) you will see that there is now a public and private email field listed.

Private email: This will ONLY be viewable by opennic admins and will be used in case we need to get ahold of you directly, or for general maintenance scripts like domain expirations or user account cleanup.

Public email: This field can be used by anyone creating a script to show user information. For example, there is a whois service available for all of the domains managed by be.libre (whois -h api.opennic.glue <domain.name>) which will shortly be including your public email if you choose to list one. This field is completely optional!!! If you do not want a public email address listed, just leave it blank. This field can also be the same as your private address, or it can (and perhaps should) be a different address since there is a chance that it could be scraped by spammers.

Note that the email address you had previously entering in your user account will be the PRIVATE address. You only need to make changes if you wish to publish a public address. Let me know if you have any comments or questions.

And speaking of user accounts... there are currently 5770 user accounts created under opennic. I know there are not really that many people here! Unfortunately there has never been any sort of cleanup action on the list of members. I'm going to try and write up a script soon which will send an email to all existing users (using your private address). The email will have a web URL to click on which will validate your account is still active, and after a period of several weeks I will wipe all non-validated accounts. (I'll post a message here to let folks know when to expect this email.) It's an ugly remedy, but very few people tell me when they want an old account deleted, so we're left with the current mess.