discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] letit2 [.] bit blacklist

Re: [opennic-discuss] letit2 [.] bit blacklist

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] letit2 [.] bit blacklist
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2017 09:19:22 -0600
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx1.computerrehab.us 8C5122D522

Regarding blacklists... First off, yes I would definitely be in favor of such a system, and in fact we already have the initial framework in place. Remember the whitelist API? I also set up a blacklist API with the same code. The data resides in LDAP and is part of the ACL list generated by another API.

After my experiments with blocking an individual domain in BIND yesterday, I believe I could modify the blacklist API to also accept domain names. The ACL file would then create separate entries for the domain names that would feed into a localhost hole. Anyone can pick up these files and use them however they want, and I could even add categories to the entries so that members have even finer control of what they block. As always opennic server operators will be free to operate their servers according to their own rules, however I think it that considering the problems we've seen it would be useful to at least provide the tools to handle the issue for those that want it.