discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Browser extension

Re: [opennic-discuss] Browser extension

  • From: Rouben <rouben AT rouben.net>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Browser extension
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 23:36:41 -0400

I wonder if there's an API for Chrome (KHTML) and Firefox (Mozilla) engines to:

- override DNS or proxy (less desirable) settings - this would enable lookups of non-OpenNIC domains normally, and OpenNIC domains through predetermined DNS servers, or perhaps a web API (don't know if DNS lookups are possible from within Chrome/KHTML/Firefox/Mozilla API sandbox)?

- inject root CAs into the browser - again, not sure if that's doable at all with any API

So the above two are requirements to do a "proper" or "native" implementation of OpenNIC content access. Another way to do it, would be to leverage a proxy like http://proxy.opennicproject.org/ - proxy in a bottle so to speak.

Third option is to publish our own distribution of a web browser, like the Onion Browser project, but that's a bit extreme... unless perhaps we can convince the Tor project to modify their browser to use OpenNIC DNS by default?

Rouben