discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Voting platform / DokuWiki plugin implementation

Re: [opennic-discuss] Voting platform / DokuWiki plugin implementation

  • From: Rouben <rouben AT rouben.net>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Voting platform / DokuWiki plugin implementation
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 02:01:59 -0400

Whoah... thanks for the feedback re: Atlassian! Admittedly I had not used them as extensively as our dev team and a couple of our profs, who swear by it. I am stuck supporting it and while I was not thrilled with the annoyances with the deployment (a common stack would be nice for starters; chose to dockerize each app separately), but at the end of the day, I have yet to see a commercial software of this kind that doesn't have quirks...

My team (systems, network, IT) uses Gitlab (hosted in house), and while IMO it is way clunkier than github, it's actually not bad functionally, and something I am way happier to support.

Anyway, if you have time drop me a line off list about Atlassian, I'd like to know what exactly I'm stuck supporting and what to watch out for! :)

Rouben

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 11:43 PM, Fusl <opennic AT lists.dedilink.eu> wrote:
> How about Atlassian’s suite of products (Confluence, Bitbucket, Jira, etc)?
Don't get me wrong, but, I work at a large company that utilizes many Atlassian products, mainly the ones listed by you: Confluence, Bitbucket, Jira.

In fact, we migrated away from Bitbucket to GitHub due to *SO* many issues that we had in the past, and we're planning on migrating away from Confluence and Jira as well because they both keep going down so often (hosted service) and Confluence has way too many bugs and we're most of our time just trying to work around the bugs that we experience with Atlassian products (hosted and self-hosted) - ever tried to edit a normal table in Confluence? Have fun fucking up your entire page and fixing it later on.

Atlassian products are IMHO just overkill with too many features and too many things that can go wrong and break other things at any possible time - fixing the bugs that happen using Atlassian products means that we invest more time into it than actually running our own software like DokuWiki.

I also think that we should not migrate *to* hosted, closed source services but instead migrate *away* from them because that allows us to implement our own customizations and modifications. Take our wiki mirror on GitHub for example, there would *never* a possibility we can set up a mirror like this with Confluence: https://github.com/opennic/wikipages

If you suggest a good product like AWS ("just works"), Netlify or GitHub, they all seem good and I've never had issues with them but I loathe Atlassian for how they keep breaking the way our team functions and they don't give a f*** about it.

Note: I can probably write a book with the amount of bugs I discovered using Atlassian products, reported to them and never got them to fix it. We all (Mac, Windows and Linux users) keep getting told that we use the product wrong and we're by now not even expecting any kind of support from them anymore.