discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Voting platform / DokuWiki plugin implementation

Re: [opennic-discuss] Voting platform / DokuWiki plugin implementation

  • From: Rouben <rouben AT rouben.net>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Voting platform / DokuWiki plugin implementation
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 22:17:15 -0400

Overall, this is a great idea. I was thinking along the same lines, actually, and was going to post a thread to trigger a discussion.

I think it may also be a good idea to create standardized proposal templates (the howto is a starting point, I suppose).

Having things like TLD Charters and all proposals on the wiki will allow:
1. A centralized place of review.
2. A centralized place of submitting edits/changes.

After a review period, we can use the same page(s) to implement a vote.

With regards to implementation, may I make a *controversial* suggestion (please don't kill me)?

How about Atlassian’s suite of products (Confluence, Bitbucket, Jira, etc)? Sure it’s closed source/commercial, but Atlassian’s suite is a mature, fully-featured and they have a non-profit/open source licensing tier for practically their entire suite. Their wiki, in particular, is extremely powerful - more of an intranet than a wiki really. I think we would also be eligible to use the rest of their products, including code hosting (BitBucket), managing changes and projects (Jira), etc. I understand there may be hesitation to use proprietary/commecrial software here, but I'd like to think of it as a way to avoid maintaining things that are not core to OpenNIC, allowing us to focus on what is core to what we do - DNS and the democratic community governing it. After all, we use github.com to host some of the code, and its closed source.

If OpenNIC is a formally registered non-profit anywhere, we can apply for a community license: https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/community-license-request
alternatively, I think we'd also qualify for an open source project license, which has virtually no formal requirements other than being an open source project:
https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/open-source-license-request
heck, I think we could qualify just based on the infrastructure management stuff that's on Github under OpenNIC right now:
https://github.com/opennic
worst case scenario, we can just call them up and ask. :) Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd heard of us, after all, OpenNIC has been around for what, 17+ years now?

Thoughts?