discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Adblocking Tier 2 at 167.99.153.82

Re: [opennic-discuss] Adblocking Tier 2 at 167.99.153.82

  • From: Al Beano <albino AT autistici.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Adblocking Tier 2 at 167.99.153.82
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 14:29:44 +0100

Here's one such javascript library for detecting adblock: https://github.com/sitexw/FuckAdBlock - afaik this one has seen some widespread usage

It can get a bit complex (seeing as they're trying to beat ad-blockers at their own game really), but from what I've gathered the general gist is that it'll try to request an advert, and if it fails, break the page in some way.

And here's a userscript that will break the library: https://github.com/Mechazawa/FuckFuckAdblock

These ad-blocking DNS servers are really neat, but to anyone thinking of setting one up, PLEASE remember to set the 'blacklist' flag on your server like Jonah has done - this makes it clear which servers are operating some kind of blacklist and not resolving domains 'transparently', and gives users the choice.

albino