discuss - [opennic-discuss] [opinion] Corporate strategies yields corporate results

[opennic-discuss] [opinion] Corporate strategies yields corporate results

  • From: kevin <krattai AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] [opinion] Corporate strategies yields corporate results
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 11:36:57 -0500

I've just been thinking about a problem with another community I'm
involved in and while working through possible solutions, I remembered
that corporate strategies yields corporate results.

As an original group of volunteerists, it's odd to look at the way
openNIC has progressed in some areas, especially for a group that I
believe wanted to get away from the bureaucracy that resulted in ICANN.

I'm not opposed to voting for things as a way to maintain focus on
certain activities that will move a community forward, but when a vote
is about developing a bureaucratic and corporate structure, it really
doesn't make sense for a group of decentralized volunteerists.  In
fact, it can be highly detrimental to such a group activity.  A lot of
some of the more current "decisions" the group has voted on and the
direction of much of our documentation, especially as "rules" rather
than "guidelines", I wonder what the end result of openNIC might be, in
relation to ICANN.

Anyhow, I just wanted to put that out there and find if maybe there's
others active in the group who are thinking like I am, or if I'm really
just an outlier in the community.

Kevin