discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] .ssr TLD request

Re: [opennic-discuss] .ssr TLD request

  • From: Amunak <amunak AT amunak.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] .ssr TLD request
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 14:49:59 +0200

I don't think there's much desire for new TLDs in general, *especially* "country-like" ones.

It has already been shown many times that people running TLDs get usually bored after a year or two, eventually the servers stop running and the TLD dies. Which is okay, noone was using it in the first place more likely.

What we need is more adoption, or maybe new features (TLS certificates!), not new TLDs.

I don't want to deprive anyone of the fun of running a TLD or whatever, but unless they can somehow prove that it'll bring either adoption or that they can at least keep the TLD running for, say, 10 years, I see no reason to accept it.

Oh and the recent discussions / flame wars were also not fun, I wouldn't be surprised if that drove many people away from here. I was on the verge of leaving permanently.

Just my opinion though,
Amunak