discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] New T2 Server Config

Re: [opennic-discuss] New T2 Server Config

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] New T2 Server Config
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 20:33:28 -0700

On 01/03/2011 09:45 AM, Günter Grodotzki wrote:
also I get following error:

$ dig dns.opennic.glue axfr

; <<>> DiG 9.6.0-APPLE-P2 <<>> dns.opennic.glue axfr
;; global options: +cmd
; Transfer failed.

You need to specify the target server... any of the T1's should work.

$ dig @ns2.opennic.glue dns.opennic.glue axfr

Until now I would just do:

$ dig ns0.opennic.glue

And add those IPs manually in my root.hint - can't I do this anymore? I think IPs shouldn't be changing that often - and if it does we have a dns-operations ML for that ;)

Again you need to specify the server that you want to query, and be a little more specific on what answer you're trying to get...

$ dig NS opennic.glue @ns0.opennic.glue

If you want a cleaned up method suitable for scripts, the following will give you JUST the list of T1 addresses...

$ dig NS . @ns0.opennic.glue | grep "IN[[:space:]]A" | awk '{print $5}'

Please note that I just made an update to the root hints file today, and have removed NS4.opennic.glue from the root zone. That server is still suitable for resolving OpenNic TLDs, however it has been returning verisign servers for the root, and causing inconsistent results for the end-users.

If you wish to keep your hints file automatically in sync, you can set it up as a slave zone rather than a hints zone. The following applies to BIND, perhaps you can modify to suit your software?

zone "." in {
type slave;
file "tld-root";
masters { 75.127.96.89; <tier1-server>; <tier1-server>; };
};

Hopefully some of this will be helpful to your questions?