discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT pongonova.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 07:19:27 -0600

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 03:31:47AM -0600, Caleb Langeslag wrote:
> I've had a thought recently: Why don't we just have the whole OpenNIC
> website as a wiki rather than a Joomla installation with a Wikka Wakka
> installation as a subsidiary? Having the main website under Joomla is only
> restricting people from being able to contribute and/or fix any content. As
> for any high-profile or mission-critical pages, we could just have those
> pages require moderator-approval for changes to become public. I don't see
> what a wiki installation would be incapable of, as of how the Joomla
> installation is currently used.

Caleb--

The wiki was always intended to be the "technical repository" side of
OpenNIC. In fact, until recently, the wiki did not have an
ICANN-namespace domain, as some felt the information was only of value
to those who could access the OpenNIC namespace in the first place.
So the wiki was never really intended to be the "public face" for
OpenNIC.

> We could also work towards making a very nice wiki theme that's well done
> that isn't just a recolorization of a default theme (whereas you can look
> at wiki.ubuntu.com and not tell what wiki solution it is, due to it's
> extensive branding and theming). Overall, this would also make the OpenNIC
> website more uniformal. I'm completely willing to do any of the web design
> and templating work necessary for a custom theme (as long as someone has a
> decent design idea/draft).

The beauty of WikkaWiki (diclaimer: I am one of the lead devs on the
project) is that it is easily skinned and even easier to make
"invisible." You are welcome to work on this (e-mail me for the
appropriate access). Here are some links to get you started:

http://blog.wikkawiki.org/2009/09/11/how-to-design-themes-for-wikkawiki/
http://docs.wikkawiki.org/InvisibleWiki
http://docs.wikkawiki.org/InvisibleWiki
http://docs.wikkawiki.org/WikkaThemes