discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki

  • From: "Hanselka, Alex" <alex AT hanselka.name>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 19:31:08 -0600

Or we could just get rid of the forums. I'd like that.

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Caleb Langeslag <takyoji AT gmail.com> wrote:
I completely forgot there even was a forum in the Joomla installation. If we rid of the Joomla installation, I can just migrate everything (posts, topics, users) to a phpBB3 installation, and write something to bridge authentication from the Wikka Wakka installation to phpBB3 (so that people wouldn't need an account for the forum, and another account for the wiki).

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Brian Koontz <brian AT pongonova.net> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 12:43:56PM -0800, Amrit Panesar wrote:
> Well honestly, the joomla forum and cms setup is pretty broken right
> now. I believe that would be best to explore other solutions and perhaps
> get something a bit more user friendly, and perhaps get more people
> using OpenNIC. (Information availability = User availability)

User availability != query response rate.  There are those who prefer
forums over mailing lists, and vice versa.  However, I would venture
to say that the bulk of real OpenNIC business is done via e-mail.
This implies that support is most likely to come to those who post
their queries via e-mail rather than by forum.

I'm all for choice, convenience, etc.  But I think in this case, too
many "official" channels of communications can be detrimental to the
organization.  I can show you many examples of posts on the forums
where posters vent their frustrations at not getting answers to their
queries...I can think of few, if any, examples of same on the mailing
list.

 --Brian