discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki

  • From: Caleb Langeslag <takyoji AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNICProject.org; have the whole website as a wiki
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 21:09:56 -0600

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 7:30 PM, Larry Brower <larry AT maxqe.com> wrote:

On 02/06/2011 07:04 PM, Caleb Langeslag wrote:
> I completely forgot there even was a forum in the Joomla installation.
> If we rid of the Joomla installation, I can just migrate everything
> (posts, topics, users) to a phpBB3 installation, and write something to
> bridge authentication from the Wikka Wakka installation to phpBB3 (so
> that people wouldn't need an account for the forum, and another account
> for the wiki).

Would it not make sense though to use something with less security
issues than PHPBB3 ? Perhaps VB or IPB? I think even SMF has less
problems than PHPBB3

Have you even administrated a phpBB3 installation? Also I have no f-ing clue where you're getting the poor security history idea from. Here's a simple little comparison:
phpBB3: http://secunia.com/advisories/product/17998/?task=advisories
    History:
        4 less-critical vulnerabilities,
        1 moderate critical.
        No vulnerabilities are unpatched.
vBulletin 3: http://secunia.com/advisories/product/3212/?task=advisories
    History:
        2 not-critical exploits,
       13 less-critical vulnerabilities (2 unpatched still)
        9 moderately-critical
        2 highly-critical (4, if you consider each vulnerability separate, since the two reports are of two vulnerabilities)

Also, I don't see what the benefit of a proprietary forum solution (vBulletin or IPB) would be. And feel free to prove me wrong by writing an extension for either vBulletin or IPB to bridge authentication from a Wikka Wakka installation.