discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] U.S. Government Shuts Down 84, 000 Websites, 'By Mistake'

Re: [opennic-discuss] U.S. Government Shuts Down 84, 000 Websites, 'By Mistake'

  • From: mike <mike AT pikeaero.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] U.S. Government Shuts Down 84, 000 Websites, 'By Mistake'
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 00:40:17 -0500

I think you're getting closer to the root of the problem...rubber stamp
warrants...if the persons responsible are complacent or simply incompetent
is of little consequence to the victims of this. The issue is, people's
property are being seized without legal probable cause as defined in the
Constitution, without viable warrants as defined by the Constitution, which
makes the whole process illegal, and which makes those responsible, criminal
suspect. When every day now, the feds are engaging in criminal activity all
over the globe, at what point to you begin to say...hmmm...maybe our
government is getting out of control? Perhaps "We the People", the first
three words in the U. S. Constitution, aught to pay closer attention to what
our "friends" in the District of Criminals is up to, and less time with ball
games other useless diversions....anyway, just a thought.

> Maybe not this one, but some of the past ones, we have.
>
> Here's the application for the Torrentfinder seizure. LOTS of mistakes,
> including using some torrentfreak articles (I work for torrentfreak) as
> evidence.

http://torrentfreak.com/us-government-made-painful-mistakes-in-torrent-finde
r-seizure-101217/

> I doubt the warrant in this case was any more accurate than that one.
>
> K`Tetch

This begs the question, Did the presiding judge read the application or
possibly did she understand what was being requested? They could have
had a gov version of a salesman give a pitch to the judge and convince
her to sign the warrant. Seems like judges need more education regarding
technical things. We already know how the government will exploit a
judges lack of knowledge on issues. I am not condoning ICE's actions, I
am just saying that regardless of legal standing the warrant was signed
by a sitting judge. This would mean that the business side normally just
says ok have a nice day and then refers it to their counsel for
follow-up. They would rather there be inconvenience as opposed to
possible legal issues for not complying.