discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Threat

Re: [opennic-discuss] Threat

  • From: Mike <mike AT pikeaero.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Threat
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:14:56 -0500

I think I'd think twice about hitching our wagon to Anonymous. I think
we should milk the situation for all it's worth. But I, for one, would
strongly urge against getting actually associated with Anonymous.

It is very easy to imagine that Anonymous is controlled opposition (i.e.
it has been set up as a controlled bogey man) to 'menace' the Internet
while appealing to the knee jerk reaction to stick it to the man. So
after these attacks, the establishment can say 'look at what happened
here, we need more control over the Internet so this does not happen
again'. In other words, I think Anonymous is being used by the
establishment to set up these 'false flag' attacks so people start
begging for the governments to take more control over the Internet.

If what I've just outlined is true or not, the result will be the same,
the establishment will use it as an excuse to crack down even harder.

I don't think what Anonymous is doing is a very good idea, and I really
don't want to have anything to do with it, or be associated with it in
any way.

--Mike