discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Threat

Re: [opennic-discuss] Threat

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Threat
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:52:16 -0700

Regarding this (and due to the frequent ddos-type attacks we see on our T2 servers), I have a bash script that has been posted to help protect against these types of reflection attacks. It has worked for the type of traffic we currently see, however without knowing the code that is to be used, there is no guarantee it will help fend off what anonymous has in mind.

The current code is posted at http://wiki.opennic.glue/ddosDotSh
There are comments with each of the configuration variables, however you will probably only need to worry about SRCDEV, DSTDEV, and CHAIN. You will need iptables and tcpdump to run this script, and a user account that has permissions to freely use both commands.

If you run this script on your T2 server, SRCDEV and DSTDEV are not needed. CHAIN should be set to "INPUT".

If you run this script on a dedicated firewall in front of your T2 server, SRCDEV will be your internet connection, DSTDEV is the interface your T2 server is connected to, and CHAIN will be set to "FORWARD".

You can view the list of currently blocked IP addresses by reading the file defined by BLOCKFILE. Commented entries are not currently blocked, however if they hit you again within the allocated time, they will be blocked again for double the previous time.

If you have any problems, you can give me a shout on the IRC channel.