discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Minimum hardware spec' for a T2?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Minimum hardware spec' for a T2?

  • From: "Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT&Internet)" <nd AT syndicat.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Minimum hardware spec' for a T2?
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:02:59 +0100

Jacob Taylor <orangewinds AT gmail.com> schrieb:

>I see most people use or prefer bind... is there any reason not to use
>unbound? It's a recursing resolver, which for t2 is what you want,
>correct?

Bind/named by tradition is often/widely called as a/the reference
implementation of internet DNS. If you run bind you could be shure that his
major versions provides all standard functionality as usual/defined/required
by the regarding rfcs and the internet DNS (other DNS operators) are relying
on.

But - to be true - this even has a little "bad side". If there are publically
unknown security holes within the software a significant part of the internet
DNS could compromitted by theory. On the other hand there is possibly no DNS
software which got tested, reviewed and proven as Bind today.

To reach maximum reliability it could makes sense to run "both" parallel
nameservers on different operating systems and even hardwares. To use
different subnets - ideally geografically divided - should be a must today
(see the former Microsoft DNS blackout).

Bind - from my view - is the best, most powerful, flexible and reliable DNS
implementation while the configuration is managable even for DNS beginners,
if you just strongly rely on howtos and docs. As internet orgnisations like
the RIRs (RIPE, ARIN etc.) do publish configuration examples/snippets in the
named/bind format you will find bind/named configs widely documented in the
net.

But, it may (!) give other implementations good as or even "better" then
bind, but i did not really find one until today. If you use any other
software you has to make shure that it really fit's all of your DNS
requirements, what could be much more complex to learn binds config syntax ;)

Without the knowledge of DNS basics it makes no sense to set up any DNS -
especially if it does more then forwarding/caching for a small private
network.

best regards,

Niels.

- --