discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] BIND Memory Hog

Re: [opennic-discuss] BIND Memory Hog

  • From: Alex Hanselka <alex AT hanselka.name>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] BIND Memory Hog
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:25:30 -0600

As a matter of fact, yes I will. The only two settings I changed are

max-cache-size 20971520;
recursive-clients 500;

The max-cache-size takes a value in bytes of the maximum cache size. If it reaches this limit, it will expire the oldest entries before their TTL in order to save memory. The default on this is UNLIMITED. So do set it.

recursive-clients is the max number of simultaneous recursive clients allowed to be connected via udp at any one time. This takes an integer and its default value is 1000.

I put these in the global options section. So far it is working. BIND is taking significantly less memory so far than it was. However, it is still slowly rising, so I will continue to monitor the issue.