discuss - [opennic-discuss] User and Domain Management System

[opennic-discuss] User and Domain Management System

  • From: Martin C <martin AT mchomenet.com>
  • To: OpenNIC discussion <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] User and Domain Management System
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 15:30:15 +1000

Hi all,

Previously, while setting up my system after finding the OpenNIC Project, the site with the Galium source wasn't responding for me, so I wrote my own for the fun of it (it is responding for me now). Anyhow, if anyone is interested in the domain registration and management system for users I made, I am polishing it up today.

Initially, for .OZ I had a system that allowed users to check if a domain was available, allow them to register it, specify nameservers/host/alias while recording their name and email address. This worked ok, but meant that all future updates of record type, email change, etc would have to be made manually, with notifications via email.

So I updated the software to allow a registration/log in system where users would see all the domains they have registered, change the host records (ie: NS, A or CNAME) of any of those domains as well as keep their own contact details up to date.

It uses PHP for the front end, SQLite3 for the database and C for the back-end processor that writes the zone file (bind syntax only). The only limitation at the moment is that the system only supports one TLD per installation, but I am working on that.

Let me know if anyone here is interested in taking a look at the code. It will be made available under a very easy going license (think slightly modified BSD license).

I just found http://wiki.opennicproject.org/germaniumfeature while writing this. Implementing dynamic DNS in my system shouldn't be too difficult. I also have an interest in data analysis and if it hasn't been done yet, nor anyone else currently working on it, I'd like to have a go at the statistics program, to determine how many queries each server is getting, as well as how many queries per TLD. Of course, if this is already done, dis-regard this paragraph, I'm just going on what I've been able to find on the website.

Regards,
Martin.