discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] User and Domain Management System

Re: [opennic-discuss] User and Domain Management System

  • From: Amrit Panesar <apanesar AT 4195tech.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] User and Domain Management System
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 00:53:19 -0700

On 5/24/2012 10:30 PM, Martin C wrote:
> So I updated the software to allow a registration/log in system where
> users would see all the domains they have registered, change the host
> records (ie: NS, A or CNAME) of any of those domains as well as keep
> their own contact details up to date.

Brilliant, do you have rwhois server integration as well, or is this
your own implementation?

> It uses PHP for the front end, SQLite3 for the database and C for the
> back-end processor that writes the zone file (bind syntax only). The
> only limitation at the moment is that the system only supports one TLD
> per installation, but I am working on that.

I had the same Idea of using SQLite for a DB, MySQL is too unreliable
IMO, great choice :)

> Let me know if anyone here is interested in taking a look at the code.
> It will be made available under a very easy going license (think
> slightly modified BSD license).

I would love to glace over your code, (and perhaps steal some ideas!
[with your permission of course]).
I'm currently working on something identical that uses `nsupdate` for
adding/removing/changing records, without the need to write, re-write,
and reload the DNS server. Not only does this make it inherently able
for dynamic updates, but it also adds compatibility with any DNS server
supporting remote updates (an RFC standard, afaik)

> I just found http://wiki.opennicproject.org/germaniumfeature while
> writing this.

Good features to add to any registrar software.

> Implementing dynamic DNS in my system shouldn't be too difficult. I
> also have an interest in data analysis and if it hasn't been done yet,
> nor anyone else currently working on it, I'd like to have a go at the
> statistics program, to determine how many queries each server is
> getting, as well as how many queries per TLD.

I love the idea of generating some numbers, but unfortunately the idea
of collecting data isn't too popular. I'm still thinking of a way to
satisfy everyone's needs.

--
Amrit Panesar
OpeNIC .Neo Administrator