discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] U.S. Claims Global Legal Jurisdiction over .net and .com

Re: [opennic-discuss] U.S. Claims Global Legal Jurisdiction over .net and .com

  • From: Alex Hanselka <alex AT opennicproject.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] U.S. Claims Global Legal Jurisdiction over .net and .com
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 12:20:56 -0500

On Jun 9, 2012, at 12:19 PM, Peter Green wrote:

As I state on the only page available in the U.S. on my main site, that it is because of the U.S. government that people that want to veiw my site can't and I implore U.S. citizens to work on fixing their broken government.

Oh as if we can fix it :P  (I sorta joke, its possible but most people are dumb as is clearly evident)

Most of the visitors to my site were U.S. citizens.

I think it a reasonable measure, knowing that you can access my site from the U.S. via a proxy, it's not an out an out block, just a statement.

I don't expect the OpenNIC site to ever be unavailable in the U.S. so hopefully people will have the resources at hand that they need.

Again we see it's not just about privacy either, it's about the right to free unrestricted access to the Internets.

It does make me wonder if OpenNIC needs an I.C.A.N.N. T.L.D. outside of the U.S. though?

For now, ORG is safe and perhaps when new gTLDs are released we can think about that.  The main issue historically is that other than gTLDs, there are only country specific TLDs in ICANN space and OpenNIC is not and would rather not appear to be specific to any country.  Who knows, that may change someday :)

---
Alex Hanselka
alex AT opennicproject.org