discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Subscribed Email

Re: [opennic-discuss] Subscribed Email

  • From: "mike" <mike AT pikeaero.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Subscribed Email
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 10:36:57 -0500

Just thinking out loud here:

What about if we had an email gateway:

For OpenNIC->ICANN mail, the gateway would re-write the reply-to such
that ICANN hosts can reply to the email gateway, and the gateway can
parse the reply and then direct the email to the appropriate OpenNIC
host.

So let's say the OpenNIC email gateway resides at an ICANN name as
mail.opennicproject.org and the OpenNIC email address that I am
sending from is mike AT 8bit.geek and let us also assume that I am
sending an email to mike AT pikeaero.com and then I expect a reply.

So at my SMTP client-end I would setup my SMTP relay as
mail.opennicproject.org then address my email to mike AT pikeaero.com
with my reply-to set as mike AT 8bit.geek and then the gateway should
re-write my reply-to email as
"mike AT 8bit.geek"@mail.opennicproject.org, correct?

In addition, since some email handlers may botch the local-part of
that kind of encoding, we might also include the OpenNIC reply-to
inside the display-name part for instance the reply-to might look like:

Mike Sharkey (mike AT 8bit.geek) <"mike AT 8bit.geek"@mail.opennicproject.org>

I realize that some brain-dead email handlers are likely to botch this
because of the two '@' signs.

So perhaps the gateway might rewrite the reply-to as:

Mike Sharkey (mike AT 8bit.geek) <(mike)8bit.geek AT mail.opennicproject.org>

Using the comment delimiters () in the local part of the reply-to
might be acceptable to more email handlers with the omission of the
second @ sign.

I dunno, any thoughts on this?

- --Mike