discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-responding T2 servers

Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-responding T2 servers

  • From: Peter Green <peter AT greenpete.co.uk>
  • To: <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-responding T2 servers
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 18:32:32 +0100

I've noticed two or three on the T2 list that have been dead for a while,
one since February!

I think if a server goes down, or is not resolving one or more T.L.D.s and
the operator doesn't respond to contact from OpenNIC members, their server
should be removed from the list after 2 weeks.

I would like to see all T1 and T2 servers have at least a web page (if not
a site, and obviously T1's do), in which you will find at least an up to
date contact address (some T1's don't seem to have a contact address) and
possibly more, like server stats and a blog communicating the state of the
server etc.

I feel if dialogue is being made and an op' is having problems but IS
communicating with the OpenNIC community then removal should be open ended.
After all OpenNIC is a very helpful community, there's no need to hide away
from problems.

Reliable servers and operators are necessary for OpenNIC to be a quality
service that is taken seriously by the world.

As an example, the T2 that Jonathan and I run has this web page;
http://opennicproject.org.uk/

Peter