discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-responding T2 servers

Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-responding T2 servers

  • From: "Aaron J. Angel" <aaron.angel AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-responding T2 servers
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:21:47 -0400

On 08/15/2012 02:00 PM, David Norman wrote:
> When you add a server at manage.ntppool.org, their system will add/remove
> you from the pool based on automated polling. If your system goes down even
> just a few hours, they pull you from the pool. When you fix the problem,
> you get added back in a day or so of successful requests. It's point based
> - you have to maintain a certain uptime score within a 2 day window to stay
> in the pool. There are no feelings or emotions involved. I like this model
> very much.

Slightly different principal. A resolver can't find DNS servers until
it's told where to look. Also, users don't want to fuss with settings
regularly. The original issue was with new operators. Or new servers.
So impose a probationary period on new operators. Or new servers. Don't
list them as ready until they have a proven track record.