discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-responding T2 servers

Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-responding T2 servers

  • From: David Norman <deekayen AT deekayen.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-responding T2 servers
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:49:25 -0400

On Aug 15, 2012, at 2:21 PM, Aaron J. Angel <aaron.angel AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Slightly different principal. A resolver can't find DNS servers until
> it's told where to look. Also, users don't want to fuss with settings
> regularly. The original issue was with new operators. Or new servers.
> So impose a probationary period on new operators. Or new servers. Don't
> list them as ready until they have a proven track record.

I'm not necessarily proposing the same exact setup as ntp's pool. More what I
had in mind is that there seems to be a pool of willing programmers for
opennic who could automate this problem away. Example - the list doesn't show
you until your server has passed 95% of testing for two straight weeks. If it
goes down for 2 hours/days/weeks, it automatically un-lists, even if the
maintainer communicated downtime.

I'm just making up crap numbers to help picture the general idea.