discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] TLD requests

Re: [opennic-discuss] TLD requests

  • From: Peter Green <peter AT greenpete.free>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] TLD requests
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 22:08:13 +0000

> Existing T1 sysops could have somebody funding them currently, and
> the rest of us are oblivious to that

Anyone know of this if it is happening? It'd be interesting to see how
and if the model works.

> However, when the OpenNIC collective begins actively promoting
> that model, then the OpenNIC collective becomes exposed to all of
> the potential liabilities associated with accepting people's money
> in exchange for goods and services.

Why do you think that the case?
As I see it OpenNIC in it self never need change. It would just point
people in the right direction for getting the job done if they can't
do it them selves. Then these people add to the momentum to get
OpenNIC T.L.D.s out there.

It seems to me that for as long as OpenNIC only aims at the techies,
then the rest of the world will pass us by.

> May I suggest the idea of perhaps forming a separate 'Guild of
> Alternative DNS Operators' or some such (does not even have to be
> OpenNIC centric), who then could be free to peddle their services
> outside of any direct relationship to the other member of the
> OpenNIC collective?. In this way, then, the OpenNIC webmasters
> could potentially provide a link to the Guild's website, and there
> you go, association at 'arm's length'.

I'm not sure about a guild, whatever that may mean in practice? But
certainly OpenNIC would need to, in some way, over see what was going
on and make sure things stayed professional and kept to the principles
of the organization.

Even with the range of T.L.D.s available at present, it feels to me
(and I may be wrong) that OpenNIC is a group of sysadmins of which a
few run websites within the OpenNIC name space. How many of the main
stream users own and run websites here?

When I did a call out for a list of active websites a few months back
I got only a few replies, or at least actual live websites and at
least one of those died with weeks of launch.

I don't see much actual content within OpenNIC, I just see an
alternative D.N.S. resolver ecosystem, not an alternative/addition to
the Wibbly Wobbly Web...

Peter