discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [MOTION] Drop .OZ

Re: [opennic-discuss] [MOTION] Drop .OZ

  • From: Julian DeMarchi <julian AT jdcomputers.com.au>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [MOTION] Drop .OZ
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 07:36:58 +1000

Thanks for getting in contact Martin.

[...]

> I now work full-time and accidentally let my TLD admin duties slip
> here and there. This was by accident. On top of that, around the
> start of the year, I was making some changes to my network here and
> setting up some internal servers so I could host email myself and a
> few other things. To do this, I set all emails from all lists that
> I am subscribed to to go to a specific spot that I hadn't migrated
> to my main machine yet, and as the first few weekends of this year
> were busy, it just kept being moved lower on the list of
> priorities.

Life always take priority over this!! :)

> Then I happened to log in and saw the message from Peter. I
> immediately found where the emails were being directed and merged
> them back over to where they had always been and caught up quick
> smart.

Any chance you can idle in #opennic on irc.freenode.net? I actually
recommend any OpenNIC T1/T2 operator to do this... You all run
servers. You have access to screen and irssi. Connect and idle.

> I have not abandoned .OZ, and hopefully the above explains why
> there have been outages: I've not been the one paying the bills
> till this point (the guy that does is very absent minded and
> forgets to pay his own bills a lot) and now that I _can_ be, I
> still wish to continue on as before, but taking on full
> responsibility for every aspect of it, which I was simply unable to
> before.

Ok. This is good news.

> I envy those who had/have permanently dedicated resources for
> OpenNIC to offer after all this time and tip my hat to you.

This is why I think it is essential to think through a decision to run
a TLD for OpenNIC. It is _not_ an easy job.

> If it be the will of the community, I would still like to be here
> and continue with .OZ. If everyone has made up their mind against
> it, that's unfortunate. If I had any good will stored up from my
> software contributions, press release writing, proposal writing,
> etc I'd like to draw on that before anyone here makes any permanent
> decisions to give .OZ the chop just yet.

You do have a lot of good will with-in the community here. There is no
doubt about this. And I thank you for all the contributions.

I shall withdraw the vote in 1 week ifg .oz comes back up. Next Monday
I'd like to see results as we can't have a TLD down for a long time.

> Once again, sorry for not being around as much and I aim to remedy
> that. As long as the motion is not passed, I will attain the
> resources I need to keep .OZ going, if it is, hopefully it is
> appreciated that I would not get the facilities back up and
> running. At the least, I will remind my friend to pay his bills so
> I can get a recent backup. I do have one but it's about 2 months
> old (everything around here stops before Christmas :P).
>
> Sorry for the long read.

Now's a good time to have a think about if you can devote the
resources too .oz? If you can't give a garentee on up-time or
availablity of the server I think my question answers itself. Not
trying to be rude to you Martin. You've done a lot for the community,
I hope you understand the position I'm coming from.

[...]

- --julian